Coaching and Mentoring Workshop
Course Duration 1 Day
You are in your office looking over your performance report and it happened again. Your low performing employee failed to meet quota this month even after you spoke with them about the importance of meeting goals. This employee has a great attitude and you know they can do better. You just do not know how to motivate them to reach the goal. Money used to work, but that has worn off. You are baffled and you know being frustrated makes matters worse. What do you do?
The Coaching and Mentoring focuses on how to better coach your employees to higher performance. Coaching is a process of relationship building and setting goals. How well you coach is related directly to how well you are able to foster a great working relationship with your employees through understanding them and strategic goal setting.
At the end of the course participants will be able to :
- Define coaching, mentoring and the GROW model.
- Identify and set appropriate goals using the SMART technique of goal setting.
- Identify the steps necessary in defining the current state or reality of your employee’s situation.
- Identify the benefits of building and fostering trust with your employee.
- Identify the steps in giving effective feedback while maintaining trust.
- Identify and overcoming common obstacles.
- Identify when the coaching is at an end and transitioning your employee to other growth opportunities.
- Identify the difference between mentoring and coaching.
Defining Coaching and Mentoring
What is Coaching?
What is Mentoring?
Introducing the G.R.O.W. Model
Goals in the Context of GROW
Identifying Appropriate Goal Areas
Setting SMART Goals
Understanding the Realities
Getting a Picture of Where You Are
Exploring the Past
Choosing Your Financial Approach
Structuring a Plan
Wrapping it All Up
Creating the Final Plan
Identifying the First Step
The Importance of Trust
What is Trust?
Trust and Coaching
The Feedback Sandwich
Providing Constructive Criticism
Encouraging Growth and Development
Focusing on Progress
Reaching the End
How to Know When You’ve Achieved Success
Transitioning the Coachee
Wrapping it All Up
How Mentoring Differs from Coaching
The Basic Differences
Blending the Two Models
Adapting the Grow Model for Mentoring
Focusing on the Relationship
Download this outline as a PDF.