Civility in the Workplace Workshop
Course Duration 1 Day
While a training program on workplace manners and courtesy may seem like overkill, the reality is: rudeness is an epidemic costing industry millions a year. Indeed, what society seems to be gaining in terms of both knowledge and technological advancement, it’s losing out on basic social values that directly impact the bottom line.
To address the growing problem of incivility in the work setting, this workshop introduces the concept of civility, its importance to a company, as well as its typical causes and effects. Skills needed to effectively practice civil behaviour, as well as different ways organisations can systematise civility in the workplace will also be discussed. The benefits to Civility in the Workplace are countless and will pay off immensely in every aspect of your job.
At the end of the course participants will be able to :
- Define civility, understand its causes, and enumerate at least three of its behavioural indicators.
- Understand the costs of incivility, as well as the rewards of civility, within the workplace.
- Learn practical ways of practicing workplace etiquette.
- Learn the basic styles of conflict resolution.
- Learn skills in diagnosing the causes of uncivil behaviour.
- Understand the role of forgiveness and conflict resolution.
- Understand the different elements of effective communication.
- Learn facilitative communication skills such as listening and appreciative inquiry.
- Learn specific interventions that can be utilized when there’s conflict within the workplace.
- Learn a recommended procedure for systematizing civil behaviour within the workplace.
What is Uncivil Behaviour?
Three Reasons Why You Should Be Civil
Dealing with Difficult Personalities
Cost and Rewards
Effective Work Etiquette
Being Politically Correct
Cost and Rewards
Incivility and the Costs
Civility and Rewards
Four Causes of Incivility
How to Overcome It
Getting to the Cause
Examining the Root Cause
Creating a Cause-and-Effect Diagram
Benefits of Resolution
Three Sides to Incivility Mediation
Identifying Your Need
Completing a Needs Analysis
Writing a Civility Policy
Designating the Core Group
Defining What is Unacceptable Behaviour
Defining the Consequence
Writing the Policy
Implementing the Policy
The First Steps Training
Download this outline as a PDF.